Here is what I'm going to try:
1. Give him a completely different learning programme from the rest of the class
- He will have four tasks to complete that day - three academic and one construction / design task
- The tasks will be simple
- He will work in order of the tasks
- Many will be online
- He will have a set table with a reliable computer
- The tasks will be taped to his table each morning
- They will be checked off
- He can earn S100 for each day he completes the tasks
- There will be no consequence for not achieving the tasks.
Here is a sample week's programme:
2. I also expect Ashton to attend workshops and full class activities such as Personal Investigations, Shared Book, PE...
3. I will try, try, try to understand where Ashton is coming from. I need to learn to read his signs and pre-empt blow-ups if I can.
4. I will make sure Ashton has his tablet at morning tea. I have seen what he is like when he hasn't taken it...
5. I will work with the other students to support Ashton. They will need to encourage where possible and ignore when necessary. Ashton needs to feel we are backing him.