Modern Learning Environments - My Conclusion

My Big 'Learnings' for 2017
  • No student wants to be naughty. I did know this, but it’s good to be reminded and have it brought to the forefront.
  • There is a lot to learn from other teachers
  • Although I thought I was giving choice to students, it was in narrow parameters eg Selina’s way of encouraging and giving credence to different interests and learning styles
  • Aroha should be shared between fewer learners. I know this as I write reports - I'm really fishing round for many genuine, individual comments.
  • Creativity and the kids’ interests can be catered for in a single class space.
  • Kids can learn anything, but there should be rigour - numeracy and literacy are still vital
  • My Term Four SDL was pretty good actually. Students chose their learning in many learning areas, peer tutored, ran or attended workshops and went through a constant cycle of trying, reflecting, improving, sharing both individually and collaboratively.
  • With smaller classes, I can give more passion and put more fire under the wings of my learners
There is not a one-size fits all model for MLEs. Many schools are getting bigger.  John Hattie says class sizes don't matter.  But I doubt that bigger is necessarily better.  In fact, I find there is less intimacy, less understanding, less listening, greater noise, more confusion, bigger gaps for kids to fall into.  It just seems as if there are more difficult students to try to help.

To conclude...

I believe Modern Learning Environments as Core Ed would define them suit some students and teachers better than others.

I believe that a single classroom space can be a Modern Learning Environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment